Monday, November 9, 2009

Creative Juices, Now In Stock At Your Local Juicery

And we're back, from the first break I've had from blogging in about a week.

It was never my intention to go for such a streak, mind you. It was just one of those things where I was a few posts behind and I really wanted to be at a point where I was doing 5 a week, so that it would give the archive a nice, even number divisible by five each week. Fifty posts for last week, fifty-five for this one, and so on. I am quite certain that nobody will care about this, except for me, and the only reason that I care about it at all is because I'm crazy.

Would it be weird to say that I actually thought really hard about my decision not to blog last night? Part of me wanted to, even though I was all caught up. You can get a head start on the week, I told myself, in case you miss a day or something.

But the real reason I felt like blogging, and the reason that I've been feeling good about things as I blog now, all goes back to that NaNoWriMo project. Are you sick of hearing about it yet? Too goddamn bad, it's my blog; more importantly, it's my blog for a writing class and this particular novel writing project has done so much for my attitude and motivation as a writer that it would take a far longer and more self-serving post than this one to explain it all.

You can probably expect to read such a post by Thursday or so.

The first thing I do when I get home now, after I take off the usual things (shoes, pants, etc) is sit down at my computer and start work on the novel. I am an absolutely terrible procrastinator, and it's always been a struggle for me to write when I'm at my computer. Which is a weird thing to say, but whenever I sit down and especially when I have to write something that I don't want to write, I check the usual time wasters: Twitter, Facebook, my email, Twitter again, the news, a web comic, Facebook, and that's already forty-five minutes I could have spent working now down the drain.

I'm glad to say that with the novel, I haven't really been doing that, aside from a quick tweet to say that I'm going to start working. Mostly, that's just so I see how long my writing sessions are going, if my habits are changing at all the more I do this.

The novel writing has pretty much been a very positive experience so far; I haven't felt myself get frustrated or anxious, although I have gotten close many, many times, especially when I think about "where do I go next" or "is that going to make sense?" I ignore those thoughts, however, and so far, it's working out well. But inevitably, I feel I hit a point where I can leave off for the night and have a good place to continue tomorrow, and by then, I've been writing like crazy for 45 minutes to an hour, and now the creative juices are really flowing!

So then I come here and blog about it. Like right now. What I'm doing this very moment.

Come to think of it, I wonder if maybe I should blog first, and then work on the novel. Might produce better work that way... but I probably won't, since I have this thing right here and now, and it's working well for me.

I don't want to monkey with it, since if I did, I'm quite certain that I'd break something.

Oh yes, and between all of my classes, I only have like four massive projects that are coming up, and that's not stressing me out at all. Okay, that's a lie, and it is, but only because I'm worried that I might have too much work and it'd make me miss a day on the novel.

Which, if you're still reading along at home, strikes me as totally weird.

And lastly, as a personal aside, I'm pretty sure I made up at least one of the words in the title for today's post. I challenge you to guess which one it is!

No comments: