Friday, October 30, 2009

Windows 7 and Thoughts on Brand Affinity

Friday night and here I am in front of the computer screen yet again, in an attempt to get back on track with my blogging schedule. Unfortunately, I think that my brain recognizes that this is not a usual time that I depend on it for productivity and creativity, as my thoughts are constantly wandering away from anything that might resemble an interesting topic.

But! I shall endeavor to press on without the use of my brain. We'll see how this goes.

I decided to make the jump to Windows 7 today. I actually qualified for a free upgrade when I bought the new computer a month or so ago, but I was hesitant to actually make the decision to commit. I know, I know, Vista is a dark and wicked taskmaster, I agree completely, but I think in the back of my mind, there was this subconscious fear that, just as the transition from XP to Vista was a sharp downgrade, I worried that Windows 7 would somehow be even worse.

Which reminds me, I really still do need to get my laptop fixed. I miss having it.

But so far, the word on Windows 7 seems to be that it's good, although admittedly, anything would be better than Vista at this point. I kept telling myself that I'd grow to tolerate it, it being Vista, I mean, and even now, after a month, I find that it grates my nerves and just refuses to do things the way I would like.

It always bothers me that it's impossible for me to complain about something like this without somebody mentioning that "well, you could get a Mac and then you wouldn't have to deal with it." And it's like, you know... I understand that people like Macs and that they're good computers. And I'm sure they're useful when it comes to art design or video editing or something. But to be perfectly honest, I hate being told to get a Mac, because I don't like them. I don't get them, I don't get the feeling, I don't sync with the aesthetic. I used a Mac when I was in journalism, I've used them several times since then, and every single time, I just feel off. Out of place. Disconnected.

It's like looking at a painting that's in a style you don't care for by an artist you don't like. Yeah, it's still art, but there's no connection for me, no affinity.

So I stick with the PC, because that's what I know, that's what I like, it's what's comfortable for me. And I bristle every time I'm told to get a Mac. Because to me, people like Apple for the brand, which is fine, because there's a certain satisfaction in feeling affinity for a particular brand. But I don't know whether it's because I just being an outsider in the tech world (I have a Zune, after all) or what, but I just don't feel the allure of that brand name.

And speaking of the Zune, that's one product that I'm actually very happy with and I'm proud to say that I'm a fan of, not because I feel loyalty to the brand, but because I think it's a great device that's severely under-appreciated.

Topic for another day, perhaps.

No comments: